Wednesday, January 17, 2007

When in Rome...

The life of an insect is short lived at the Santa Monica Airport. Specifically at Typhoon, a pan-Asian restaurant overlooking Runway 21.
Last night I had the good fortune to dine there, not knowing that they cater to an array of exotic cricket, worm, scorpion and ant dishes. My dining buddy (who actually picked up the tab- thanks, Kallissa!) has tried all that grossness before. I must confess, ever since I saw Selma Hayek on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" make herself a cricket burrito and bite into it like it was an In-N-Out Double Double, I've been curious myself.

So there I was. All I had to do was say those three magic words to our waiter, "Fried Crickets, please." Should I? What's the worst that could happen? Would I gag? Throw up? Get crazy gas or the runs? Hmmmmm, so much to think about... I decided what the hell, you only live once and I eat pigs ears, for god's sake. I can certainly try some fried crickets!

The waiter brought the dish to our table a few minutes after ordering. It looked better than I thought it would. Heck, these are just some crispy hash browns with little fried critters! No problem! Not to mention these are the very critters that always seem to annoy the hell out of you in the middle of the night when you're trying to sleep. For that reason and that reason alone, I piled a bunch of those hash brown thingys and about three or four of the crispy crickets on my fork and put it in my mouth.

Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. Swallow. Take a drink of water (quickly!). Wait.

No gagging, no throwing up, no gas (that came later!). Not Bad. And as long as I keep telling myself they taste just like burnt french fries, it's all good. I bet that's what Selma was thinking.

g

2 comments:

HeathBiter said...

Crickets?! Ewww! Great writing!

Kiki Maraschino said...

When I saw the picture, I thought, "I wonder if they knew there were bugs in their food?"

I found pig's ears too chewy to actually eat, but pig's snout was really good!