Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Viva la Race LA!

While most of you are guzzling margaritas and belting out bad versions of La Bamba on Cinco De Mayo, Heath and I are going to participate in a race that will take us on a wild goose chase around Los Angeles.

I'm a HUGE fan of Amazing Race, the TV show where twelve teams of two race around the world performing all kinds of crazy challenges for a chance to win a million bucks. Well, Race LA is a little different. First, there are eighteen teams of two. Second, you race around Los Angeles only. Third, you win nothing.

Nada. Zilch. Zero.

Still, we decided to give up our 2nd favorite "holiday" (first is Leap Day) and participate. Here are some of the rules:

1. Travel books, city guides, computers, and GPS devices are NOT PERMITTED.
2. Cell phones MUST be turned off throughout the entire race.
3. We can only have ONE map. Luckily, a Thomas Guide is considered a map and is permitted.
4. We may stop and use a pay phone for research (please friends...stay near a computer that day!).
5. Each team needs their own car. Although only one driver per team is required.

Here's a pic of our first "clue" that came in the mail today. Basically it's just a sheet containing directions to the starting location. Like the letter said, "Don't worry, the clues do get more difficult."All said, I'm really looking forward to it. I have a feeling we'll get into a few...er...discussions that day. I can hear it now, "I said turn right, not left!" Should be quite interesting...

I'll let you know how it goes. Or better yet, we'll meet you for margaritas when it's over.

g

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was a volunteer monitor for Race/LA last year. It's not true that you don't win anything - the winners got a bunch of prizes. Nothing huge and definitely not a million bucks! But they were some nice things.

It was really fun - hope you have a blast!

gina & heath said...

prizes, huh? cool! even more of an incentive to kick some serious butt on saturday!

Elizabeth said...

I want do that next year with my dragon boy sounds fun. The only problem we are both ADD..."talk about lively debates of confusion", not only that he suffers from sciatica I would have to give him a piggy back ride at some point, and the last time I had to use a pay phone when my cell died I was as confused as if I was sitting in the cockpit of an airplane.